How to File for Free
If filing online, be SURE to use a verified free site. There are many unreliable and deceptive sites.
- Obtain forms:
Many forms are only online, but we carry limited quantities of federal forms (such as 1040).
We can look up and print any online State and Federal forms (such as PA-40, PA-1000 Rent Rebate) for 15 cents per page.
- Use our computers to file:
We can assist in getting you logged in to an official free filing site, but we do not offer filing advice.
When you file online, the sites lead you step-by-step if your return is not complicated.
- PA FreeFile —
Free software and forms. Can file state and federal simultaneously, with income under $64,000.00.
- PA DirectFile is online filing for PA ONLY.
- Reviews of online tax software
- United Way –
Call 2-1-1 for an appointment (or 888-553-5778).
Free if income under $20,000.00, or in some cases up to $54,000.00.
See myfreetaxes.com to learn about free help from H&R Block for simple returns.
Avoid hidden fees and keep 100% of your refund.
- VITA and TCE volunteers who help if income is under $53,000.00. 1-800-906-9887.
- IRS free help
- AARP free help for low to moderate income individuals.
- Just Harvest offers help for low income individuals. Call 2-1-1 or 1-888-553-5778.
- Mon Valley Initiative
- at Jefferson Hospital Call 412-469-7099.
Tax Forms & Sites
Official links for forms or contact information.
- IRS Forms in number order
- IRS Home Page
- Order forms or 1-800-829-3676 — to be delivered by mail to your home.
- Taxpayer ADVOCATE Service: An independent service within the IRS. If you have a problem that you have been unable to resolve after contacting the IRS or you need to know taxpayer rights, try the Advocate Service. 412-404-9098. 1000 Liberty Ave., Pittsburgh 15222.
- Printable PA Tax Forms
- Rent Rebate PA-1000 Forms — you can print online forms in the library (15 cents per page) or ask at your PA Representative’s office.
- Keystone Collections Group — Taxpayer Resources page
- Links to e-file online
- Link for Forms Download, where you can print items such as the Final Annual Return (Earned Income Tax form).
- Pittsburgh Department of Finance
- Allegheny County Real Estate Site (search by parcel or street)
- Allegheny County Property Assessments, including Appeal Forms
These offices often have forms, including rent rebate booklets, and they sometimes offer tax preparation assistance.
- PA Senator Jim Brewster … 412-664-5200 … 201 Lysle Blvd. (in police station building). Carry state and federal forms.
- Sometimes they offer free tax help.Call 2-1-1.
- You can print Rent Rebate forms at their office. Booklets should be available by the beginning of March.
- US Congressman Mike Doyle … 412-664-4049 … 627 Lysle Blvd. Do NOT carry state forms
- PA Representative Austin Davis … 412-664-0035 … 627 Lysle Blvd.
McKeesport, PA 15132.
- Free tax help for seniors 2020. Call for appointment.